There are currently two ways to buy discounted railcards – either you need to know someone with an Annual Gold Card season ticket, or have £10 in Tesco Clubcard vouchers. The majority of full price railcards are currently £30 per year.
If you regularly travel on National Rail services then their Railcards are probably one of the best ways of saving cash on your journey. National Rail Railcards are targeted towards different groups. They offer several different rail cards, some for people between 16 and 25, other railcards for those who always travel together with a partner, or even if you are a senior person. UK Railcards typically cost around £30 direct from National Rail.
Annual Gold Card Season Ticket
To buy a railcard at the discount price of £10 you (or family or friends) will need to have an Annual Gold Card train season ticket. Alternatively you could use a family or friends, if they don’t need the additional railcard, to get the discounted £10 railcard if you don’t have your own Annual Gold Card.
If you, a family member, or friend has purchased an Annual Gold card from one of 600+ stations in the Gold card area (see Gold card area map) then you will be able to get a railcard for the discounted price of £10 per year, instead of £30. Railcards are designed as a supplement to discount rail travel outside of the Annual Gold card area, and covers a large area of the South of England and West Midlands, including London stations.
You can purchase 16-25, Family & Friends, Two Together, Senior, Disabled Persons and National Railcards to receive 30% of train travel (different types of railcards). Also, you can purchase only one annual railcard for £10 at any time during the validity of the Annual Gold Card.
To purchase a discounted railcards for £10 using an Annual Gold card you need to:
- Purchase the railcard from the same station as when the Annual Gold card was purchased (you cannot purchase online). If the Annual Gold card was purchased online then you need to visit your nearest station.
- Ask staff at the station for the discounted railcard application. Some railcards require photos and proof of eligibility (such as the 16-25 or the Senior railcard).
If you’re purchasing a railcard for someone else, then you can buy on their behalf without them being present, as long as you have photos and proof of eligibility where needed.
Redeem Tesco Clubcard Vouchers
You can redeem £15 of Tesco Clubcard points for the following 1 year railcards.
- 16-25 Railcard – Available to anyone aged 16 to 25, or over 25 and in full-time study – Receive 1/3 off Standard Anytime, Off-Peak, Standard Advanced and First Class Advanced fares.
- Family & Friends Railcard – Available for up to 4 adults when travelling with up to 4 children aged 5 to 15. Receive 1/3 off for adults and 60% off for kids on most rail fares.
- Senior Railcard – Available to anyone aged 60 or over – Receive 1/3 off Standard and First Class
Anytime, Off Peak and Advance fares.
- Two Together Railcard – Available to two named people travelling together aged 16 or over. Receive 1/3 off Standard and First Class Anytime, Off-Peak and Advanced fares.
The Disabled Persons Railcard can be purchased by redeeming £10 of Tesco Clubcard vouchers.
Visit the Tesco Clubcard site to redeem Tesco Clubcard points for railcards.